Cross-Border Infographic: 9-Step Checklist to Avoid Mistakes
Get an illustrated, step-by-step guide of how to avoid cross-border mistakes.
Shipping truckload freight over the Canada-U.S. border can be complicated — this step-by-step infographic makes it easy to understand.
If you want a more detailed look into each step, check out the full cross-border Canada guide.
Download this infographic. Save it to your desktop.
Get a PDF version of this infographic and save it as a quick-reference guide for your next cross-border Canada shipment.
Download A PDF Of This Infographic
3 Phases to Moving a Cross-Border Canada Truckload Shipment
Phase 1: Laying the Foundation
- Establish the importer of record.
- Set up your customs broker if you’re the importer of record.
- Speak to the customs broker to make sure you have everything squared away.
Phase 2: Preparing to Ship
- Get all your paperwork together.
- Select your freight forwarder/3PL and/or carriers.
- Connect your carrier and your customs broker.
Phase 3: Moving Your Freight
- Finalize your paperwork with the exact shipment details.
- File documents with the customs broker.
- Pre-clear your shipment with PARS/PAPS.
When the driver arrives at the border, the shipment should be precleared by customs, and the driver then passes through border patrol.
That's it! Your shipment is across the border.
Once the driver has crossed, they head to the receiver for final delivery.